I was online a couple of weeks back doing some research on Alpha Males and found there are some misconceptions. I’m no expert, but I’d like to think I know a little about them. I married one. First I want to point out that there’s a book called. The Book of Alpha It’s called to action states… Be Bold. Take Control of Your Life. If you read this book this is what you’ll learn.
Alpha vs. Beta Males
Why you are who you are
Alpha Male Body Language
Quality of Life
Let’s first jump into some characteristics of the Alpha male.
Definition: Is the first letter of the Greek Alphabet. In the system of Greek numerical, it has a value of 1. According to the Oxford Dictionary, it’s the dominant male in a particular group.
If you’re not first you’re last” ~Ricky Bobby’s Daddy
I did some digging, and first looked up some Alpha Male traits, and since I found the book The Book of Alpha, I figured I’d pull from their list.
- Have Intangibles (Mentally Tough)
- Have presence
- Strong Body Language
- Walk like the shit <— ( I don’t entirely get this one? ) Maybe they have swagger? *Yup that’s what it means*
- Position Themselves
- Take Chances
- Alpha Males Get the Girl
- Vocal and Loud (I’m tagging this one as a Myth because some Alpha males (at least the ones I’ve met) Are more observant than vocal and loud.
- Strong Eye Contact
- Aren’t Afraid to get physical (tagging this one too) I don’t think fear has anything to do with it. Again, knowing when the battle is necessary. *Again, I’m not the expert.
- Calm under Pressure
- Know how to dress
- Do not need external validation
- Not afraid to stand out
- Saying No (tagging this one too as Myth)
- Do not try to be everyone’s friend
I want to revisit this list in another post! And I will… But this list came from tobealpha.com tobealpha.com/alpha-male-characteristics/
Now let’s get into the Myths of the Alpha Male, and I found a couple above. But you don’t have to take my word for it. These are just my thoughts.
5 Myths about the Alpha Male *According to Tigris*
- Vocal and Loud: I don’t think this is true, some are the strong silent type. They observe, get the lay of the situation before being vocal and loud.
- Attractive (Physically) We all want that buff dude, with the washboard abs, and the sparkling eyes and long lashes, but let’s face it, being an Alpha Male is a state of mind I think. The mind is a beautiful place and is just as attractive. So although the Alpha in question isn’t eye candy, he can still exude power in other areas and still be just as influential.
- Assholes: Some can be, but it’s not a pre-requisite to in order to get your A Card.
- Are secretly shifters and vampires who are waiting to fulfill our every fantasy. I know, we want this. Crave it even, but unless you know something I don’t know, then we can only read about them in our favorite books.
- Saying No. Okay, I tagged this one, because what does saying no have to do with being Alpha? I don’t get it. In the article, the writer points out that Alpha males have the power to say no and that betas are afraid of the consequences of saying no. It also says that having said power to say no, is the most important thing. I disagree and I’m calling MYTH on this. Because everyone has the power to say no, Alpha’s included and as far as consequences, I think an Alpha would consider the consequences be it good or bad. Cause he’s an Alpha and would use his head first to get to the correct outcome? (Am I overreaching?) If I am, call me out on it!